Capcom revealed Lost Planet 3 to the world yesterday with the release of a trailer and a batch of screenshots. The latest chapter in the sci-fi shooter series is said to be a prequel that will focus on story and character.
Developed by Spark Unlimited and Capcom Japan, Lost Planet 3 stars a new protagonist Jim, and alternates between third-person shooting and first-person operation of Jim’s construction rig. The emphasis on a personal character story is a change from Lost Planet 2 which focused on co-op play. The environments will be only icy terrain, as is illustrated by the screenshots below, and are said to be “an ever changing climate that will affect the way you play.”
Other details include:
- Jim is a “blue collar worker” braving the elements in order to earn his income and return home to his family on Earth
- Hazards include the “hostile Akrid and unpredictable ice storms”
- The Akrid are said to be “bigger and angrier and demanding a more tactical approach during combat”
- Jim’s utility rig will feature a variety of tools that players will need to master in order to survive
- Multiplayer modes (no details yet)
Much has been made of the partnership with Spark Unlimited. The developer is known for its first person shooters (including Call of Duty: Finest Hour and Legendary), which have received mixed reviews at best. So you can understand the concern that Lost Planet fans feel for hearing that such a developer will be working on Lost Planet 3.
No official release date yet, but look forward to Lost Planet 3′s arrival on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC in early 2013.