Nintendo is known for an impressive list of iconic characters, each with a massive following. Kirby is no different, celebrating 20 years since he first appeared in Kirby’s Dream Land back in 1992. We first got news of the collection back in April, but little was revealed other than it would include some of our favorite Kirby games. Now we know this will include 6 Kirby titles, a timeline looking back at the Kirby franchise, and an original Soundtrack. This is due to release in Japan on July 19, 2012, no release date for North America or Europe yet, though. Rumors are circulating, however, for a September release in North America. The included games are:
- Kirby’s Dream Land (Originally on the Game Boy, the first Kirby title, and released in 1992)
- Kirby’s Adventure (Originally released on the NES, the first title to introduce Meta Knight in 1993).
- Kirby’s Dream Land 2 (Originally released on the Game Boy in 1995)
- Kirby Super Star (Originally released on the SNES in 1996)
- Kirby’s Dream Land 3 (Originally released on the SNES, released in 1997)
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Originally released on the Nintendo 64 in 2000)
I hope that the soundtrack and timeline will be available to fans in some other way other than the collection, as all six of these titles have been re-released in some shape or form whether it was on the Game Boy Advance, the Virtual Console for the Wii, or the 3DS store. Most fans had plenty of opportunity to acquire their favorite Kirby games in new version by now. Also, there is no indication of special features included that would be different from the re-released or original version. This collection is actually just the first six Kirby games released.