Yes, you read that right. Microsoft has just announced that your Gamerscore will now factor in a new metric called MyAchievements. You’re eligible as long as you are an Xbox LIVE Rewards Gold member.
This new program is meant to validate those hours you’ve spent collecting and blasting away on your Xbox 360. The tiered reward systems is as follows:
- Contender: Unlocked at 3000 – 9999 Gamerscore. This tier unlocks a “Special Gift” during your birthday month.*
- Champion: Unlocked at 10000 – 24999 Gamerscore. Along with the “Special Gift” during your birthday month, this one also unlocks a 1% rebate on your Xbox LIVE Marketplace purchases every month.**
- Legend: Unlocked at 25000+ Gamerscore. Along with the “Special Gift” during your birthday month, this one also unlocks a 2% rebate on your Xbox LIVE Marketplace purchases every month.**
Now, before you get all giddy and buy a new car because of your newfound rebate wealth, let’s address the fine print.
The “Special Gift” has an approximate value of $0.25 USD. That’s the equivalence of 20 MSP. My guess is you’ll be able to unlock a special birthday party hat. But that’s the life of a Contender I guess. I bet the next tier has much more to offer.
With the Champion level, you’ll get the same 20 MSP reward a year as well as a 1% rebate on all of your Xbox LIVE Marketplace purchases each month. Sounds better but let’s see how that stacks up. Let’s say I buy Marvel vs. Capcom: Origins for $15 this month. Then I go on a bit of a splurge with maybe two more games at about the same price. That seems like a regular month for me. So $45 later I’m playing a few new games and I get my shiny 1% rebate at the end of the month. At 36 bonus MSP each month that’s like two birthday hats!
Now let’s bump up to Legend level. That’s a 2% rebate every month on Marketplace purchases instead of 1%. At that level (and with the same buying frequency) we get 72 bonus MSP a month. We end up with:
- $540 spent (equivalent of 43200 MSP spent)
- 36 new Arcade games to ignore in favor of playing more Borderlands 2
- $10.8 in rebates (equivalent of 864 bonus MSP a year)
- Our yearly gift valued at 20 MSP a year
- The dawning realization that video games are an expensive hobby
The figures are in USD. Feel free to correct me if my math is wrong.
Sorry for editorializing but these rewards seem a little weak to me, especially with the monikers of Champion and Legend. Am I alone?